Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 31: Right Here, Right Now

Day 31
PM Yoga Flow 15 minutes

"Right Here, Right Now" is some cheesy song by a cheesy band, right? Trying to continue with my "non judgemental observation" mantra, I notice that during my yoga practice my thoughts either drift to the past or to the future. The challenge is keeping my focus and energy right here - right now, if you will. :) It seems to take constant redirection. Observing where I may drift off to mindfully, and returning gently to the present. Over and over again.

Currently I'm reading "Everyday Blessings: the Inner Work of Mindful Parenting". (If you haven't read it, you should read it. Even if you aren't a parent.) I find it curious that it is easier for me to be mindful when I'm parenting than it is when I'm all alone after everyone has gone to bed and it's just me practicing yoga. My mind wanders more and it is harder to return to the present. When I'm doing our day to day stuff with Jude I remind myself to be here witnessing this moment with my baby. Smell him. Kiss him. Watch and observe what he's doing. Snuggle. Breathe. Maybe it's easier because I'm aware that this moment will never repeat itself. He'll never be 26 weeks and 4 days old again. ...

It's harder when it's just me. Looking inwards rather than to something that is (now) outside of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment