Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 1: Why Yoga?

Why anything? Why would I choose to burden myself with setting a goal when I'm already going through so much transition in my life? I gave birth to my son 5 months ago, and my life has been turned upside down and inside out! Yes, I am experiencing the joys of motherhood and I love my baby dearly. But, I'm also experiencing the identity crisis of new motherhood that no one seems to want to talk about in our society!!!

Yeah, I take on too much. It's one of my flaws. I think that I have to be able to do it all and I am a perfectionist when it comes to how I go about doing it. So why am I trying to be a blogger and a yogi on top of everything else???


                                         About to birth: Bring it.


Simple: I'm doing this for ME. In 2000 I took my very first yoga class. Over the past decade I've taken god knows how many yoga classes, practiced dvd's at home, and have experimented with yoga of all sorts and styles! I am hooked, but I've never considered myself a yogi. Why? Because, for one, I have terrible balance. Two, I am super self conscious and haven't been able to get over criticising myself during my practice. Good yogis accept themselves and their bodies for what they are capable of that day. During my pregnancy I fell in love with yoga all over again. Me and the fetus went to prenatal yoga classes 2 or 3 times a week and we also practiced at home. The husband and I chose to take a "Yoga Way to Birth" series instead of the traditional birth preparation courses that are offered. And my body thanked me for it. When I slipped and fell on a pool deck ON MY DUE DATE my body instictually landed in a lunge pose, saving my 40 week belly and baby from any trauma. During the final phase of birth I folded myself IN HALF and WATCHED Jude's head grow bigger and bigger (and watched my labia stretch past the point I ever imagined was possible) and I saw the moments that my son entered the outside world. It felt like it was happening an inch away from my face. And maybe it was, I was pretty bendy. ;)
I credit much of the positive experience of my pregnancy to my yoga practice.


                                         We did it! Thanks, yoga!


Alright, I need to wrap this up because Jude needs my attention. Basically, I love yoga. If I could do anything I would do yoga all of the time. I can see myself totally embracing a yoga lifestyle and mindset. I'm doing this for me. I know that it will benefit me physically, spiritually and emotionally. I know that when I spend some energy caring for myself, it directly benefits my loved ones and allows me to care for them better.  So there. That's why I chose this goal for my 45 day endeavor.

Day 1 (which was yesterday Oct. 31)

Yoga Now DVD at home. 30 minutes. I'm easing into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment