Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 2: Jude's Plank Pose

Day 2
Yoga Flow 5 minutes
Yoga Now DVD 30 minutes

Jude fell asleep on the couch, so I thought I'd squeeze in a little yoga. I had a great 5 minute session of the "energizing" yoga flow my instructor suggested recently in our "Yoga Way to Motherhood" class. Then those bright blue eyes popped open! No problemo... after a diaper change and some snuggles, I set him on his quilt next to me on the floor and popped in the 30 minute "Yoga Now" DVD.

He's pretty good about giving me space to practice yoga. He just watches me and SMILES! He thinks it's amusing. And he scootched closer and closer to me until he was snuggling up with my arm about 10 minutes into the warm up. Do you know that phase of baby development when they are figuring out how to get around/ like they are on the verge of crawling... they somehow get from here to there but unless you watch them very closely it is a mystery how they do it!?  During my yoga practice today I had one eye on Jude while he was next to me on the floor. In the past couple of weeks he has been noticeably scootching backwards, but today he did something NEW! He pushed up so that he was balancing on his toes and hands only (like in a plank pose) and pushed off with his feet to "jump" or propel himself sideways!

                                     Belly time a month ago... Time Flies.



My practice was enjoyable. I was not super focused because I kept one eye on Jude and turned it into baby play time too. (My child's pose was over a giggeling child as I tickled his inner thighs with my chin - love me some baby chuckles!)
Yoga Now is a DVD set that I have used before. It is supposed to be an "Americanized" version of yoga - in that it includes some cardio moves along with yoga. The other noticable difference is that they don't say "Namaste" at the end - which seems weird to me. At any rate, it helped me a few years ago when I was determined to lose weight before my wedding. At the time I was out of shape, a little depressed I think, and I've never been what you would call "athletic". So, preparing for my wedding, I was motivated to get out of that funk and drop some lbs. to look good for the big day. And, I met that goal! I dropped about 25 pounds with the help of the DVDs, some Bikram (hot) Yoga and traditional cardio exercise (I did a lot of elliptical at the gym). I also started to eat A LOT better than I ever had in my life.

Anyways, this time it's not really about losing weight. This venture is more for overall self-improvement, self-prioritizing, and to focus on living in the moment.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there. After my yoga practice, I had to text my family to tell them about Jude Bear's new milestone! I sent a text that said he is now moving backwards & sideways, and that I thought forward motion would be coming soon. About a minute after I sent that text off, Jude got up into his baby plank pose again and pushed off with those toes, and jumped forwards towards my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment