Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 8

Life is messy. 

Having a baby is such a great reminder of this. Too often I find myself wanting everything to be neat & tidy. Probably a lot if us have this unrealistic expectation that our house should always be clean, our kitchens disinfected, our gardens growing in perfect little rows, our children's fingernails clean & trimmed, and everything looking perfect on the outside. 

I think sharing on social media just exacerbates this because Of Course we only share photos of ourselves/children/homes/lives at our best. 

But, Life Is Messy. It's so messy! Nature doesn't give a fuck about cleanliness! It thrives in the natural glory of mold, dirt, disasters, decomposition, death, birth, and beautiful Messy life. 

Have you ever witnessed birth??? I have! Even in a sterile, clean, antibacterial hospital - life begins with a SpLoOsh of bodily fluids, shit, smells, Everything!!! It's beautiful life, baby! 

Have you ever raised children?! We're all doing it, people! You will be peed on, go about your day with spit up all over you, maybe catch some vomit in your mouth, definitely catch some in your hands, you will be covered in dirt, blood, snot, and hopefully glitter once in a while. 

My sweet baby girl loves to feed herself and instead of even attempting to avoid an after-dinner bath, I'm handing over the bowl of bananas. She loves it. And it reminds me that life is a glorious, pulsing, growing, breathing, big fucking mess. 

Yes, I like my house to be tidy. 
But I'm choosing to embrace the stickiness. It's life. It's the only one we get. 

This one - my teacher

This one - my guru 

This one - my zen master 

And this one - I'm learning as I go 







2 comments:

  1. Thought you might enjoy this snapshot of a messy bedroom!
    http://www.skunkboyblog.com/2014/03/keeping-up-with-poesys-bedroom.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH a beautiful family! I LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete