Monday, September 17, 2012

Bibliophilia

(Day 19)

I'm a reader.
Always have been, always will be.

My mother often tells me the story of a toddler Becky. At bedtime this little munchkin would climb the stairs to her room and return with a book to place at the bottom of the stairs. Then she'd climb back up for another. Repeat. When she had a stack of books to read, she'd fall asleep from exhaustion.

From the time I was 7 or 8 I'd stay up way too late reading by flashlight under my covers. Is this why my eyesight is starting to go? One reason for this is because I've always been a night owl. But, another is that when I'm into a book I can. not. put. it. down. I MUST find out what happens. To this day I will devour a great book in 1 to 2 days.

I'm trying to slow down. I don't want to consume these books so fast. I want to savor their words, the characters, the plot lines, the beauty, the emotion, the philosophical implications - all of it. But, I just tear through them. I'm like a book junkie. And, sometimes when I've sacrificed sleep for reading - I really do suffer the next day - like a hangover.

During my decade long college experience most of what I read was either assigned or textbooks. This was kind of true during high school as well. It was hard to find the time to read for pleasure because when I wasn't working, in class, partying, socializing, or exploring my independence in other ways - I was frantically doing my homework and trying to stay up on my reading for class.

Ugh. I could have read so many good books during that time!!!

Ahh, and then I decided to become an Elementary School Teacher and I got to rekindle my love for quality children's literature. This may be my favorite genre. The beauty of the children's story, the underlying deeper meanings and the ARTWORK - it's a trifecta of perfection.

Then I got pregnant and had a baby. I read a ton of birthing books, parenting books, etc etc etc. Now my little boy and I get to read all those great kids books together. He probably has more books than his Daddy and I do together. There are STACKS of his books in every room of our house.

I love it.

But, this year - THIS year. Ha ha ha. My best friend Emily has helped me reclaim my fame as a voracious reader. I am reading at night when I should be asleep. I park and read in my Jeep when Jude falls asleep. I read every chance I get. In January we formed our first book club - which I aptly named the "Randy Readers". I also decided to keep track of the books I start and finish. So far in 2012 I've started 58 & finished 40 of them. Pretty good, I think. Pretty, pretty good.

I'm just grateful for books. For authors. For illustrators. These books change my life. They shift my perspective. They make me think. They make me cry. They touch my soul. They make me look at the world in a different way. They challenge the status quo. They challenge me. They get me riled up. They make me laugh. They turn me on. They piss me off. They make me feel. I'm grateful for my parents for reading to me. I'm grateful for everyone who encouraged me to read. I'm grateful for those who put good books into my hands. I'm grateful for book stores. I'm grateful for libraries.

I'm in love with books.

Here's me graduating with my Master's - 3 years ago! I look like such a dork.
But, I couldn't have done it without the books!

This is the "Master's Degree Barbie" cake my mom made for me. She is the coolest. (Both the Barbie and my Mom)







No comments:

Post a Comment