Sunday, January 9, 2011

Try, try again.

Day 1 - Again.

I still haven't decided on a new quest. Or if I am even going to commit to taking one on. But, I am getting a little lax on myself when it comes to my yoga routine, so I need to re-commit myself to practicing everyday. This last week I practiced six out of eight days - going to class three and practicing at home three. Then, I considered taking a day off each week, and then one became two.. you know how it goes. So, today I'm starting fresh with day 1 again and I am going to class later.

I did read three books last week. I read Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein because once I started it, I got into the story and HAD to know how it turned out! Although the plot is compelling, his writing gets SO tedious and goes off on many a dry tangent. The book was long and boring at times, then exciting at others! I am fascinated by some of the themes that came up throughout the book, and I'm still mulling them over in my brain. But, it's a lot to take on in one book - he tackles religion, philosophy, politics, war, sexuality, art, and basically all of humanity here. I guess that's the point, but it is exhausting to read. By the end I was just forcing myself to finish it... and I won't spoil the end, but it left me unsatisfied.

I also tackled The Dead and the Gone and This World we Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer. They both follow Life as we Knew It, which I devoured over Christmas break. They're young adult sci-fi/post-apocalyptic stories. I finished the first within a couple of days and the latter in about three hours while my boys slept. I could NOT put them down. And they left me wanting to stock up my pantry (if I had room for one in my house) and brush up on my survival skills (or learn some!). Terrifying.

So, I've been reading everyday. Mostly because it's too cold to leave the house and we don't have anywhere to go anyways!  And I've been crafting probably every day. I made Eli a teddy bear for his birthday - one that matches Jude's that I made him for Christmas. Except Eli's has train fabric and Jude's has robots. :) They are both from a pattern that my mom passed down to me - one that she used for my "Beary", and a bear for my sister when we were little tots. Beary is loved almost to bits, and I still have him. He was my security blanket and best friend when I was little. So, it was very meaningful for me to pass on the tradition to our boys. 

I also attempted to knit a baby hat, but ended up frogging it when I f*ed up the pattern. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment