Friday, February 22, 2013

If Mama Ain't Happy... Ain't Nobody Happy

Self Care

During my pregnancy with Jude, this woman came into my life who continues to be my mothering inspiration. I met her through my best friend and provided childcare for the youngest of her three sons. It just so happened that she was embarking on a new career as a "Yoga Way to Birth" instructor and would be teaching her first series of classes in perfect timing with our pregnancy and birth adventure. Miles and I took the YWTB classes together and baby Jude and I continued with her "Yoga Way to Motherhood" classes. I know, how lucky am I?!

Her name is Emory and I will forever think of her as my Mom Guru.

I learned so much during this experience and I continue to return to what I learned every day on this parenting journey. One major emphasis was that of self-care. Any effort that you put in to taking care of yourself directly benefits those that you take care of: your family. This can be challenging at times. Especially because my needs and wants are usually the first thing I'm willing to throw out the window during stressful times in my family. But, you can't fight the truth!!!  And this has proven to be an eternal truth.

Self care for me means practicing yoga, spending time with friends and family, indulging in a massage, napping, reading, reading People magazine, taking a bath, eating well and drinking enough water (and tea), and anything that I enjoy and feels like I'm spoiling myself just a little bit.

This month was stressful as all three of us were ill. I was sicker than I have been in years! If I had the luxury I would not have left my bed for 4-to-5 days. I should have let everything go during this time, but I tried to keep up. I tried to power through housework, taking care of Jude, activities, appointments, and Self-Care had not been a priority of mine probably for all of 2013. So, I had to  play catch-up. As soon as I felt well enough I went to a yoga class and then I got a massage.

Now the challenge is to keep this self care as a  conscious priority in my life. I'm signing up for a weekly yoga class near my house so that I can commit to this Me Time that I cherish once a week. And I'm calling on my mom to take care of Jude while I do so. Which she is more than happy to do!

I truly am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment