Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 2: Toddler Musings

I am very grateful for my 2 year old's amazing vocabulary and verbal skills. Really.
Maybe it's because I read to him, sing to him, and talk to him ALL the time. I like to think it's because he adores his 5-year-old cousin, Elijah, whose verbal skills have always been exemplary.
Whatever the reason, my kid can talk! I don't even know where to begin when it comes to examples of his cute conversational skills.

But, I'm grateful for his communication skills for a couple of reasons:

1. It's adorable. I love to hear his perspective on the world. For example, when he wants to roam around shirtless he'll say "Can I wear my belly?" or when he prefers to be au naturale; "Can I be with my penis?"

2. It is super helpful that we can communicate & negotiate with each other. Like, this week I decided that I am ready to commit to ending our nursing relationship (at 27 months). During those tough moments when he's tearfully asking me, "Can I have na-nas? Can I drink your na-nas?" and I have to tell him no, he'll ask for his idea of the next best thing, "Can I hold them? Can I hold this one?"

3. Speaking well is a great skill to have. I hope it's mostly a natural talent & that it sticks with him for life. Mostly because I feel like a mumbling, bumbling fool most of the time when I'm speaking. I hope he remains a confidant communicator for life.


The most smartest kids around.






No comments:

Post a Comment